Chicken With Olive Gravy
|Pickled lemons||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh cilantro||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Green olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (I Used The Sliced Pickled Olives With Salt And Lemon Juice, Palestinian Style)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Wash your chicken, pat dry then rub with olive oil and lemon juice to get rid of any undesirable odors.
2. In a big pot, add your butter, olive oil and onions and let it cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic, cook for few minutes.
4. Add the diced tomato and cook for few minutes.
5. Add the pickled lemon. Stir and cook for few minutes.
6. Add your spices. Mix well and let cook. At this point your mix will smell wonderful.
7. Add the parsley and cilantro. Stir and cook for few minutes.
8. Add your chicken to the pot. Rub the cooked mix all over the chicken, inside and out.
9. Add ¾ cup of water, enough to cook the chicken but not to have a lot of liquid at the end of the cooking process.
10. Cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes, checking on the water level and how soft your chicken is.
11. Half way through the cooking process, add your sliced carrots. Continue cooking.
12. When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot into a baking pan and bake in 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden in color.
13. Back to your sauce, add the olives and let simmer for 15-20 minutes to get all the flavors mixed up nicely.
14. Plate your chicken and pour the sauce over it or to the side.
15. Serve with lemon slices and steamed couscous or white rice.
I would serve this dish with my mixed rice with nuts and dry fruits to get the full flavors of Algeria. Thank you Khadidja for a first successful challenge. Looking forward to the next challenge from Bahrain.