Christmas Roast Chicken
|Chopped dried fruit tidbits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||6 Tablespoon|
|Chopped walnuts/Almonds, or pecans, or a mix||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Celery rib||1 Small|
|Tart apple||1 Small|
|Chopped impeded kumquats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat bread cube||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Roasting chicken||7 Pound|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350Â°F. In a large mixing bowl, soak fruit tidbits in 3 table-spoons of sherry for 1 hour. Meanwhile, toast nuts on a baking sheet until golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. In a large frying pan, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add to fruits in mixing bowl along with toasted nuts, apple, kumquats, parsley, pumpkin pie spice, and bread cubes. Toss to mix well. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 400Â°. Fill chicken cavity with stuffing. Rub skin with remaining 1 tablespoon butter; season with remaining salt and pepper and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350Â° and continue to roast until an instant-reading thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180Â°, about 2 hours longer.
4. Remove chicken to a carving board. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan. Add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and remaining 3 tablespoons sherry and bring to a boil, whisking, until gravy is thickened and smooth, about 3 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon stuffing into a bowl, carve chicken, and serve with gravy and stuffing.