Asian Style Aromatic Poached Chicken
|Chicken||2 Pound, whole (1 whole)|
|Lemon grass||3 Medium|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (garnish)|
|Sesame oil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Beat a lemon grass stick nicely all over with a mallet.
2) Slice a piece of ginger into three large pieces. Peel and grate one piece of ginger for the dipping sauce.
3) Tie the scallions and lemmon grass together.
4) Smash a clove of garlic and finely chop for the dipping sauce.
5) In a large stockpot that is 3/4 filled with water, add two pieces of ginger, scallions and lemon grass.
6) Cover the stockpot with a lid and bring to a boil.
7) Then add in the whole chicken with the breast side down and return to a boil. 8) Gently skim off any scum that rises to the top.
9) Cover the stockpot with a tight fitting lid and lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.
10) Remove the stockpot from heat and leave covered for 45 minutes.
11) Drain the cavity of the chicken and plunge the chicken into a bath of iced water to cool for one hour.
12) Carve the poached chicken into slices and refrigerate for upto 4 days.
13) In a bowl, combine the grated ginger, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and freshly squeezed lime juice together; mix thoroughly.
14) Garnish the poached chicken with cilantro and scallions and serve with the dipping sauce or use the poached chicken as required.