Southern Fried Chicken
|Chicken breast||4 Large, butterflied|
|Plain flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Paprika||2 Teaspoon, smoked|
|Cayenne pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Onion powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frying cooking oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. To butterfly the chicken breast – with a sharp knife cut through the middle of the breast.
2. In a bowl combine plain flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, black pepper, onion powder and sugar.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and butter milk together.
4. Coat each chicken breast with flour mixture and dip it into the egg mix. Coat it again with the flour mixture.
5. Heat some oil in skillet to deep fry the chicken. Slide in these chicken breast into the hot oil, one at a time. Fry for 6-8 minutes.
6. Once cooked, place these chicken pieces on kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
7. Serve with any dip of your choice.
- Try not to over crowd the chicken in the fryer. If you don’t have a big pan, than cook one or two pieces of chicken at a time. If you put too many pieces in at once it will reduce the temperature of the oil and they won’t come out nice and crispy. You need the oil to be hot so the coating gets crispy and doesn't absorb too much oil.
Calories 883 Calories from Fat 554
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.4%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.4%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 189.8 mg63.3%
Sodium 1101.5 mg45.9%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.3%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 41 g82.3%
Vitamin A 52.7% Vitamin C 16.7%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 20.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet