Dak Galbi - Korean Spicy Chicken
|For the sauce|
|Gochujang paste||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), mince|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon, mince|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon (1 tablespoon for the sauce and the rest to be drizzles on the final dish)|
|Gochugaru||2 Tablespoon (Korean red pepper flakes)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken||2 Pound, cut into small pieces (1/2 chicken breast + 1/2 chicken thighs)|
|Cabbage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), roughly chopped (almost the same size as that of the chicken)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Large, roughly chopped|
|Sweet potato||1 Medium, peeled and cut into 2 inch long and 1/2 inch thick long strips|
|Carrot||1 Medium, cut into sticks|
|Green onions||3 , cut into big bite sized pieces|
|Sesame leaves||4 , rolled and cut into strips (kaenip)|
|Jalapeno||1 Medium, finely sliced|
|Sesame seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Cooking oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Rice cake||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the fried rice|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked|
|Green onion||1 , chopped finely|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Seasoned seaweed||2 Tablespoon|
|Left over korean spicy chicken||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, add the gochujang paste, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, honey, gochugaru, black pepper, mirin and soy sauce. Stir to mix.
2. Add ¼ of this sauce to the chicken pieces, mix and let it marinate. The longer you marinate the better are the results.
3. Chop the vegetables as instructed.
4. For the Korean spicy chicken: On a plate place the vegetables.
5. Empty the marinated chicken pieces and rice cakes into the plate.
6. Pour the remaining marinade or the sauce made earlier and drizzle the remaining sesame oil.
7. Top with sesame seeds. The dish is ready to be cooked at the table side.
8. In a large flat bottomed frying pan, pour the cooking oil.
9. Add in the vegetables and rice cakes followed by the chicken.
10. Stir to fry until everything looks cooked.
11. The vegetables cook faster and could be eaten right off the pan. The chicken takes a little longer.
12. Once done set aside.
13. For the Fried Rice: On a plate take the cooked rice.
14. Top with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
15. Add the seasoned sea weed on top.
16. In the same pan in which the spicy chicken was cooked, add the rice and mix it with the left over spiced chicken. Stir to mix.
17. Serve the Korean spicy chicken with some lettuce, ssamjang sauce, red chili pepper etc. Serve the fried rice alongside any other side dish.