Mediterranean Braised Poussin with Polenta recipe
|Poussin/Cornish hen||750 Gram (3 Poussins/Cornish hens (per person))|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Spanish chorizo||37 Gram, thinly sliced|
|Red onion||2 Small, sliced|
|Kumato||250 Gram, sliced|
|Banana peppers||2 , thinly sliced|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (merlot)|
|Fresh chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Rosemary sprig||3 , chop (leave 1 whole sprig)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chili flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Polenta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken. Drizzle olive oil and coat it evenly.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
3. Place a pan on heat, and sear chicken in it. Shake to avoid chicken from sticking at the bottom of the pan. Remove from pan, and place it in a baking dish.
4. In the same pan, on medium heat, pour oil, add onion, chorizo, rosemary, banana pepper, salt, ground black pepper and chili flakes. Give it a good stir. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Pour red wine and deglaze the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add chicken stock and kumato. Bring it to a boil and turn the heat off.
7. Transfer onion mixture into the baking dish with chicken.
8. Throw garlic cloves with skin on, and rosemary sprig in it. Pop it in oven for 1 hour.
9. For polenta, in a saucepan bring chicken stock to a rolling boil.
10. Whisk constantly and add polenta in it, a little at a time to avoid lumps.
11. Sprinkle salt, turn the heat to low , keep whisking and cook for about 45-50 minutes.
12. Add butter and ground black pepper. Mix well.
13. Remove the chicken from baking dish and place it on a plate to rest.
14. Pour sauce into a pan and reduce it by half.
15. Serve chicken with polenta and sauce.
Calories 1042 Calories from Fat 525
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.3%
Saturated Fat 18.1 g90.4%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 238.9 mg79.6%
Sodium 1332.4 mg55.5%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.6%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 60 g120.5%
Vitamin A 23.8% Vitamin C 67.1%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 19.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet