Holiday Appetizers (Cooking with Carolyn)
|Spiced chicken kebabs|
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||4 Kilogram (cut into 1 inch cubes)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne peper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mango & ginger chutney|
|Red bell pepper||3 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Frozen mango||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chop (cut into ¼ inch pieces)|
|Granular sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper flake||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For caramelized onion & feta cheese topping|
|Puff pastry sheet||1 Small|
|Onion||1 Medium, slice (¼ inch thick slice)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Feta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For herb goat cheese spread|
|Fresh herb||1 Tablespoon|
|Goat cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the open sandwich|
|French bread||1 Medium, slice|
|Prosciutto slice||2 Large|
|Arugula leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
RECIPE 1 - WARMED SPICED CHICKEN KABOBS
1. Soak the wooden skewers in water for about 20 minutes. The skewers can be cut or broken in half if they're too long.
2. Meanwhile, cut the chicken breast into 1 inch cubes and place in them in a bowl. Pour the olive oil onto the chicken, season with salt and mix well.
3. In another small bowl, combine the garam masala, ginger, cumin and cayenne pepper and mix well.
4. Massage the spice rub into the cubes of chicken using your hands. Next, skew 3 to 4 pieces of chicken on each skewer and place on a plate.
5. Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Place the skewers onto the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
6. Once done, place the chicken kabobs on a platter.
7. Serve with Mango & Ginger Chutney.
FOR MANGO CHUTNEY
1. In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, add the red bell pepper and ginger and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. To the sauce pan, add the mango, sugar, water, garam masala, red pepper flakes, vinegar and salt. Stir well.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Use a potato masher to slightly smash the mango pieces.
4. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes occasionally stirring.
5. Serve warm or chilled with chicken kabobs.
RECIPE 2 - CARAMELIZED ONION AND FETA CHEESE TOPPING AND HERB GOAT CHEESE SPREAD
1. Pre-heat oven at 400 degree F.
2. Cut the pastry sheet into 16 pieces (4x4 in size)
3. Herb goat cheese spread: In a bowl mix the goat cheese with chopped fresh herbs. (dill, parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil)
4. Caramelized onion & feta cheese topping: In a pan cook the onion with olive oil,butter,onion sliced,sugar optional, cook it for 20 minute on medium heat and keep it aside to cool.
5. Once the toppings are done you need to top 8 pieces of pastry with the herb goat cheese topping and the other 8 pieces with the caramelized onion & feta cheese topping.
6. Arrange on a baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
RECIPE 3 - OPEN SANDWICH
1. Take a medium loaf of French bread and slice it vertically.
2. Pour a little olive oil over each slice and toast on a griddle on in the oven.
3. Apply the herb goat cheese spread over the toasted bread slices and place some arugula leaves, salt and pepper followed by Prosciutto.
4. Slice and arrange on a platter and serve.
Calories 503 Calories from Fat 173
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.7%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 163.8 mg54.6%
Sodium 504.4 mg21%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 63 g126.3%
Vitamin A 15.5% Vitamin C 23.5%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 12.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet