1. In a large pot, mix salt and water for brine. Place chicken piece in brine and pop it in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
2. Preheat smoker to 225 degree F.
3. Remove chicken from brine, and pat it dry. Place chicken in the middle rack of smoker.
4. Sprinkle black pepper on top, and smoke for about 4 hours.
5. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, and olive oil.
6. Brush olive oil mix over chicken on both sides every 45 minutes.
7. In the meantime, prepare dipping sauce by mixing together ketchup, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
8. Remove chicken from smoker and serve it hot with dipping sauce.
Normally it takes 45 minutes per pound for chicken to smoke and cook.
You can also smoke chicken for 1 hour and pop it in oven until done. This will reduce the cooking time.