Chicken Adobo (Traditional Filipino Dish)
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), sliced|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rice vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||200 Gram (cut in wedges)|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Steamed rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Remove excess fat from the chicken pieces if desired. Prick the chicken with a fork to let the seasonings penetrate.
2. Cut onion in wedges.
3. In a large pot, add garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, black pepper and the onions.
4. Add chicken drumsticks, cover and marinate the chicken for 1 hour. You can also choose to refrigerate the chicken in a ziplock bag.
5. After an hour, place the pot on the stove.
6. Add 1/2 cup (100ml) water and bring to a boil.
7. Turn the heat down to low and cover with otoshi buta (drop-lid - you can use aluminum foil) and cook for 30 minutes. You can stir occasionally.
8. Uncover and simmer until sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
9. Serve the chicken with (or over) steamed rice and drizzle with the sauce. You can also serve it over noodles, pasta, bread, or mashed potatoes.