Memorial Day Fusion Grilled Chicken
|Chicken leg quaters||2 1⁄2 Pound (Drumsticks and the thighs)|
|For the marinade|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Thai chilies||2 Medium, minced (or to taste)|
|Red chilies||2 Medium, minced|
|Lemongrass stalk||2 Medium, minced|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon, juiced (juice of 1 lime)|
|Lime zest||1 Teaspoon (zest of 1 lime)|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut into sticks|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a container, add vinegar, canola oil, 6 cloves of minced garlic, Thai chilies and red chilies. To that add a couple of stalks of minced lemongrass, the juice and zest of 1 lime and some kosher salt. Close the lid of the container, shake it until well combined. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
2. On a chopping board, place the chicken and score it all over on both sides with a sharp knife. Season both sides with salt, then liberally massage the marinade all over the meat, making sure it gets into the cuts made.
3. Preheat grill to high.
4. Place the chicken on a preheated grill on high heat and cook, turning every 5 minutes or so. Baste with the extra marinade and continue to cook until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches at least 165 F.
5. Grill some carrots or asparagus tossed in olive oil and seasoned with kosher salt. Grill them until they have a little charring on the edges and they get all caramelized and sweet.
6. Plate the grilled chicken on a base of red Thai rice and forbidden black rice alongside the grilled carrots and garnish the pieces with chopped cilantro.
You can adjust the spiciness factor of this dish according to your taste. The type of chilies you use will have a great influence on how it will turn out. The smaller the chili, the hotter it will be. If you don’t have fresh chilies, you can use cayenne, chili flakes or sambal oelek.
Calories 439 Calories from Fat 275
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.8%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 141.7 mg47.2%
Sodium 703 mg29.3%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 31 g61.8%
Vitamin A 143.9% Vitamin C 25.8%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet