Healthier KFC Chicken - From The Dr. Oz Show
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs) (For the brine)|
|Regular salt||6 1⁄2 Tablespoon, divided (5 1/2 tablespoon for the brine + 1 tablespoon for the breading)|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon (Premium MSG-free, For the brine)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For the breading)|
|Plain bread crumbs||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (For the breading)|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon (For the breading)|
|Tellicherry pepper||2 Teaspoon, finely ground (For the breading)|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Summer savory||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Onion flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Garlic powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground (For the breading)|
|Egg||4 (For the dredge)|
|Skim milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For the dredge)|
|Any vegetable oil||4 Tablespoon (cooking spray, For the dredge)|
1. For the brine: In a bowl , dissolve salt in water and stir in the fish sauce.
2. Add the chicken and marinate it for 2 hours.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Remove the marinated chicken pieces from the brine, rinse in water and blot dry.
5. For the breading: In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, plain bread crumbs, salt, sugar, tellicherry pepper, white pepper, paprika, savory, sage, ginger, marjoram, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne powder.
6. For the dredge: In another bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk. When the oven is hot, taking each piece at a time, dip it in the egg and milk mixture and then toss it into the breading mixture until well coated.
7. Let the chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading. Shake off the excess and place it on a baking sheet that has been thoroughly sprayed with vegetable oil non-stick spray.
8. When all the chicken pieces have been breaded, spray each piece with the oil spray until the breading is completely moistened.
9. Bake the chicken pieces for 40 - 45 minutes or until nicely browned.
10. Serve the low fat/ low calorie fried chicken pieces with mayonnaise or ketchup.
Calories 424 Calories from Fat 183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 213.8 mg71.3%
Sodium 1775.8 mg74%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 15 g30.5%
Vitamin A 14.6% Vitamin C 4.7%
Calcium 22.3% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet