1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, divided (1 tablespoon for the dry rub + 1 pinch for garlic jalapeno pepper vinegar)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (cold water)
All purpose flour
1 Cup (16 tbs)
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
4 Clove (20 gm)
Distilled white vinegar
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1. For the dry rub: In a bowl, add salt, black pepper powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and chili powder. Toss well.
2. Coat the chicken pieces in this dry rub nicely, cover the bowl with a cling film and let it marinate in the fridge for 4 hours.
3. After marination, remove the bowl from the fridge an hour before frying for a perfectly thawed chicken.
4. Before frying the chicken pieces, heat the oil in a deep frying pan upto 350 degrees F.
5. For the buttermilk mixture: Take a bowl, add buttermilk, egg, cold water and whisk well.
6. For the dredge: In another bowl, add all purpose flour, cornstarch and incorporate well.
7. After the oil has heated up, taking one chicken piece at a time, dip it in the buttermilk mixture, make sure any excess coating drips off.
8. Dip the same piece in the dredge, dust off excess flour and gently drop it in the pan of hot oil.
9. Deep fry each piece for 12 - 14 minutes, turning each side and adjusting the temperature of the oil between 300 - 325 degrees F, for better frying.
10. For the garlic jalapeno pepper vinegar: On a chopping board, slice the jalapeno vertically, deseed it and finely chop into small pieces. Mince the garlic cloves.
11. In a small jar, add the vinegar, sugar, salt, jalapeno, garlic, close the lid and shake well until all the sugar has been dissolved.
12. Remove the fried chicken pieces on a tissue paper and set aside.
13. Pour the garlic jalapeno pepper vinegar over the chicken pieces before serving.
14. Serve the chicken pieces on a plate garnished with a sprig of cilantro and lemon wegdes.