Fried Chicken, the Thomas Keller Way
|Lemon||5 Medium, halved (for the brine)|
|Bay leaf||12 (for the brine)|
|Fresh parsely||4 Ounce (for the brine)|
|Thyme||1 Ounce (for the brine)|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the brine)|
|Garlic head||1 , halved (for the brine)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the brine)|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 tablespoon(for the seasoned flour)+ 1 teaspoon (for the seasoned flour))|
|Water||2 Gallon (for the brine)|
|Chicken||6 Pound (two 2 1/2 - 3 pound)|
|Peanut oil/Canola oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for frying)|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Garlic powder||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the seasoned flour)|
|Onion powder||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the seasoned flour)|
|Paprika||20 Gram (1 tablespoon+ 1 teaspoon (for the seasoned flour))|
|Cayenne||20 Gram (1 tablespoon+ 1 teaspoon (for the seasoned flour))|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon (1 tablespoon+ 1 teaspoon (for the seasoned flour))|
|Fleur de sel||1 Teaspoon|
|Rosemary powder||25 Gram (for garnish)|
1. For the brine, in a large pot, add lemon, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, honey, garlic, black peppercorn, kosher salt, and water. Mix, cover it with lid, and bring it to a boil.
2. Boil brine for a minute. Stir until salt dissolves. Remove it from heat, and allow it to cool completely. Place it in refrigerator overnight.
3. Cut each chicken into 10 pieces. Place it in cold brine. Cover it with lid and refrigerate for 12 hours.
4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Keep aside.
5. Take the chicken pieces out of the brine. Rinse and remove all the herbs and debris.
6. On a paper towel, lay the chicken to air dry.
7. Place a large pot on heat, and fill it with 2 inch oil. Now heat up oil until it reaches 320 degree F.
8. In a bowl combine all purpose flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, kosher salt, and place pepper. Mix well.
9. Divide flour mixture equally, and place it in two bowls.
10. In another bowl, pour buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
11. Take a chicken piece dredge it in the flour, then dip it into buttermilk. Shake off excess buttermilk, and then roll it over with flour kept in another bowl.
12. Place dredged chicken on baking sheet. Repeat the process for all the pieces.
13. Now, put chicken pieces in hot oil, and fry for 2 minutes. Adjust the temperature if required. Move the pieces gently to brown them evenly. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until deep golden brown.
14. Repeat the process for all the chicken pieces.
15. On the wire rack place fried chicken pieces skin side up for fat to drain off.
16. Sprinkle Fleur de Sel on it.
17. Turn off heat. Drop herbs in hot oil, and let them sizzle for 10 seconds. Place on wire rack.
18. Serve chicken hot with herbs.
If you do not have a large pot for brine, then use two smaller ones.
Do not refrigerate the chicken for more than 12 hours because refrigerating more will make your chicken salty.
Do not fill the pot more than 1/3 of the way up with oil.
Chicken breast should be fried for 7 minutes, and the wings for 6 minutes.
You may rewarm your chicken at 400 degree in oven for 5 minutes before serving.