This easy Chipotle Chicken Mac and Cheese is a lighter version than most mac and cheese recipes. It uses reduced fat cheddar and milk and less cheese in the overall recipe. But you won’t be sacrificing taste since those smoky chipotles bring this dish to a new level of flavor.
2 percent milk
3 Cup (48 tbs)
Extra sharp cheddar
1 Cup (16 tbs)
3 , finely diced
Gluten free elbow pasta
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1. In a pan boil water, sprinkle salt and cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions.
2. Drain the pasta, toss with a little olive oil to keep them from sticking together.
3. Mix cornstarch with cold water to make cornstarch slurry.
4. In a large shallow pan, over a medium heat, add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and bring it up to a boil.
5. Pour cornstarch slurry, simmers for 1 minute.
6. Add in the American and cheddar cheeses and stir until melted.
7. Add the diced chipotles, adobo sauce and elbow macaroni then stir to combine.
8. Add the chicken and continue stirring until the chicken is heated through.
9. Sprinkle cayenne pepper over chipotle chicken mac and serve.
For a milder dish deseed the chipotle peppers prior to dicing them and omit the extra adobo sauce from the recipe. If you want to make this as a baked mac and cheese dinner, when the dish is finished, pour the contents of the pan into a greased casserole dish, sprinkle on more cheese or some buttered gluten free bread crumbs and broil it for 5 minutes or so until the top is crunchy.