Chili Rubbed Roasted Chicken
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon (For the Rub)|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon (For the Rub)|
|Cayenne powder||1 Teaspoon (For the Rub) (Optional)|
|Paprika||1 Teaspoon (For the Rub)|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon (For the Rub)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (For the Rub)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For the Rub)|
|Chicken||4 Pound, whole|
1. RUB: Take a bowl and mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil and mix until you have a paste.
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees while you are making the rub.
3. Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
4. Carefully separate the breast skin from the meat. Use your fingers and be careful not to break the skin.
5. Rub it liberally with the spices – on the breast meat, on the skin on all sides and inside the cavity.
6. Place the chicken breast side down on the rack and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
7. To the roasting pan, add a cup of water and place it in the oven.
8. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven and flip it – you can use 2 forks for this. Add some more water to the pan.
9. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and return the chicken to the oven. Cook it for an additional 90 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted close to the bone registers 170 degrees.
10. Let the chicken sit for a good 10 minutes before carving.
11. In a serving plate, carve the chicken and serve.
Another way to test for doneness is to carefully pull the leg away from the body. If the juices that flow are clear and not bloody, your chicken is done.
Calories 471 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45.2%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g38.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152 mg50.7%
Sodium 531.6 mg22.1%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g1%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 47 g93.4%
Vitamin A 22.4% Vitamin C 3.4%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet