My Invented Fried Chicken
|Scotch bonnet pepper||1|
|Chicken||2 Pound, cut into pieces|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||11 Teaspoon (Keith’s Fried Chicken/poultry seasoning. Use 3 Tablespoon-chicken / 2 teaspoon - breading)|
|Lemon||1 Medium, juiced|
|Hot pepper sauce||1 Tablespoon (Keith’s Scotch bonnet pepper sauce)|
|Beef suet/Pork lard||3 Cup (48 tbs) (use less or more as required.)|
|Peanut oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (use less or more as required.)|
|Bay leaf||2 (seasoning for oil)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), broadly sliced (seasoning for oil)|
|Cloves||1 Teaspoon (seasoning for oil)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Teaspoon (seasoning for oil)|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, slice (only one slice. seasoning for oil)|
|Allspice berries||1 Teaspoon (seasoning for oil)|
|Self raising flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for breading)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), unbleached (for breading)|
|Corn starch/Potato starch||2 Tablespoon (for breading)|
|Black pepper beef||2 Teaspoon, freshly ground (for breading)|
1) Pierce the chicken pieces with a fork or a sharp knife to allow flavors to enter meat.
2) Make a buttermilk brine by combining milk, salt, seasonings, lemon juice, and Keith’s Scotch bonnet pepper sauce.
3) Add chicken parts and marinate overnight for best results.
4) The next day, add one egg to the marinated chicken and mix well to incorporate.
5) In a large plastic bag, mix together flours, starch, and pepper.
6) Add chicken pieces a few at a time, and toss so that chicken is coated well.
7) Allow chicken to sit in the flour for 15 minutes.
8) Preheat a large cast iron skillet or a deep pot to 350 degrees. Add enough oil and lard so that chicken is covered by at least one inch of oil.
9) When oil reaches temperature, add bay leaves, allspice berries, onion, and scotch bonnet pepper.
10) Fry these ingredients until the onion is golden brown (this flavors the oil).
11) Remove the ingredients from the oil and add a few pieces of chicken and fry for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked. Turn chicken so that it cooks evenly on all sides.
12) Remove chicken and place on a wire rack to drain and cool slightly.
13) Lightly dust chicken with Keith’s fried chicken seasoning and serve with Keith’s Scotch bonnet pepper sauce.