Steamed Stuffed Breast of Chicken
|Chicken breasts||2 Medium|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium|
|Red chilli||10 Gram|
|Streaky bacon rashers||2 Medium, unsmoked|
|Parsley||1 Teaspoon, heaped|
|Vegetable oil||4 Teaspoon (to shallow fry)|
|Sea salt/Pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Watercress sprigs||6 Medium (for garnish)|
|Balsamic syrup||4 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
For the stuffing:
1. Wipe the mushrooms with a clean damp cloth and cut into very small dice.
2. Peel the shallots and cut into very small dice.
3. De-seed and cut the red chilli into very small dice.
4. Peel and crush the garlic.
5. Wash, dry and chop the parsley.
6. Remove any rind from the bacon and cut into small dice.
7. In a frying pan heat a touch of oil and stir-fry adding bacon to it for about 1 minute.
8. Then, add the shallots, mushrooms, red chilli and garlic and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Add the chopped parsley, season to taste and remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
For the chicken:
9. Place the chicken breast onto your meat board and cut through lengthways, taking care.
10. Cut about two-thirds of the way through and open the chicken up into a butterfly shape.
11. Season each chicken piece with a twist or two of salt and pepper.
12. Divide the stuffing mixture between the chicken breast, fold the chicken back over to form the breast shape again.
13. Place a sheet of cling film onto the board and roll it up around the chicken.
14. Then, holding the cling film between your thumbs and index fingers, roll it across the board a few times such that tightens up into a neat sausage shape.
15. Place the rolled chicken on a clean dish and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
16. Wash and dry the sprigs of watercress.
17. Prepare the steamer.
18. When hot and steaming well, carefully place the chicken into the steamer and put on a tight-fitting lid and steam the chicken for about 25–30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
19. When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the steamer onto a dish and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
20. Then, carefully remove the cling film and place the chicken onto your board.
21. Using a sharp knife trim off one end so that the stuffed chicken will stand upright.
22. Then, cut the stuffed chicken in half lengthways on a diagonal.
23. Decorate your warmed plates with a line or two of balsamic syrup.
24. Neatly arrange the stuffed chicken, garnish with a few sprigs of watercress and serve.