Holiday Roasted Chicken
|Whole chicken||1 Large (about 2 1/2 -3 pounds)|
|Red onion||1 Large|
|Baby potatoes||2 Pound|
|Rock salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Roast chicken seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Chicken seasoning blend||1 Teaspoon (Portuguese seasoning)|
|Barbecue spice mix||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash the chicken inside out. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Wash and scrub the potatoes. Quarter them into wedges.
3. Slice the onion thinly.
4. Preheat the oven to 220 degree C.
5. Combine the onion and potatoes in a bowl. Season with pepper and salt. Drizzle with oil. Toss well. Keep aside.
6. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Squeeze lemon juice all over. Rub inside out. You can throw the peel into the cavity of the chicken.
7. Sprinkle chicken with cayenne pepper,paprika, Portuguese chicken seasoning, roast chicken seasoning and barbecue seasoning.
8. Turn the chicken over and repeat, seasoning the other side as well.
9. Arrange the onion and potatoes around the chicken in the roast pan.
10. Place int the preheated oven and roast for about 1 hour - 1 1/4 hour depending on the size of the chicken. Check the chicken after 45 minutes. Remove the onions and potatoes to a serving plate when done and keep warm.
11. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes once out of the oven. Drain the drippings in the pan into a saucepan and turn them into a gravy by blending in a little flour and cooking on low heat, stirring until thickened.
12. Carve the chicken and serve with roast potatoes and onions and gravy.