How to Turn Forgotten Fridge Items into an Amazing Meal
|For the braised red cabbage with apples and cipollini onions|
|Red cabbage head||1⁄2 Medium (You may use a full head as well)|
|Apple||1 Medium, cored, sliced, chopped|
|Cipollini onions||1 Pound|
|Bacon drippings/Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Maple syrup||3 Tablespoon|
|Apple cider vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|For the lemon thyme roasted chicken|
|Chicken pieces||3 Medium (Thighs and legs used)|
|Preserved lemon/Lemon zest - 2 teaspoon||1⁄2 Medium, pith and pulp removed and peel finely chopped|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium, minced|
|Fresh ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Increase to 1/2 if using lemon zest)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Place all the onions in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over the onions, cover for 5 minutes. (This will speed up the process of removing the skins)
To prepare the red cabbage and apple:
3. Meanwhile, roughly chop the cabbage and apple.
4. Peel off the outer skin of the cipollini onions.
5. Place the onions, cabbage and apples in a large 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
6. In a small bowl combine the bacon drippings, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
7. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the cabbage and stir to coat. Set this aside.
To prepare the lemon thyme mixture for the chicken:
8. In a separate bowl, mix the lemon, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme together to create a “paste.”
9. Cut a slit in the skin of the chicken pieces. Use your fingers to create space between the skin and the meat. Put an even layer of paste under the skin of the chicken pieces.
10. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
11. Add the chicken pieces on top of the cabbage and apple layer in the baking dish.
12. Place in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is done.
13. Serve warm and enjoy the meal!