Poached Chicken With Vegetables
|Roasting chicken with giblets||5 Pound (ready to cook)|
|Ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Small carrots||2 Pound, pared|
|Small new potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, pared|
|All purpose flour||4 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chives||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Rinse giblets after removing it from chicken. Set aside on paper towels. Dry chicken using paper towel.
2. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper chicken.
4. Tie the legs together and tuck it inside the body. Use a skewer for fastening.
5. In Dutch oven, heat a cup butter and brown chicken for 30 minutes.
6. Turn chicken carefully with two wooden spoons-€”do not break skin.
7. Using a sharp knife, coarsely chop giblets.
8. Wash leeks well. Cut off roots and discard.
9. Remove some of top leaves and add to giblets.
10. Halve rest leeks crosswise and set aside.
11. Under browned chicken, place giblet-leek mixture.
12. Cover the dish tightly and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
13. Arrange carrots (halved, if necessary) around the chicken, and again cook, covered, for 40 minutes longer or until chicken and carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
14. In a medium saucepan, boil 1 inch water, and cook potatoes, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain excess water.
15. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter over it.
16. In a medium sauce pan, cook halved leeks in 1 inch boiling water, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender.
17. Drain and drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
18. Carefully remove chicken and carrots to heated platter. Keep warm.
19. Strain drippings and return to Dutch oven.
20. Stir in flour until smooth.
21. Then, stir in wine and chicken broth. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed.
22. In a serving dish arrange, potatoes, leeks and bunches of chives around chicken and carrots.
23. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley, and pass gravy.
24. Serve Poached Chicken With Vegetables immediately.