Jean Sparks' Fried Chicken
|Shortening/Vegetable oil||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken||3 Pound, cut up|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a 12-inch skillet or frying pan, heat the shortening till it has hit a temperature of 360 degrees. Ensure that the pan is not filled more than half.
2) Salt and pepper the chicken generously.
3) Salt and pepper the flour as well and turn the seasoned chicken into the seasoned flour to lightly coat it.
4) Turn the chicken in the flour once again and tap off the excess, if any.
5) In the center of the skillet or frying pan, put the chicken, pieces of dark meat first, with the skin side down.
6) With white meat, surround the dark meat. Keep the skin side down. While it is alright to let the pieces touch, ensure that the pan is not crowded.
7) Loosely cover the pan.
8) Reduce the heat to moderate-high and cook the chicken for about 10 minutes, till it is dark golden in color.
9) Uncover and use tongs to turn the chicken and cook for about 10 minutes more, uncovered.
10) Place the freshly cooked chicken on a serving plate and serve while still piping hot.