Chicken, Beans, And Vegetables
|Whole chicken breasts||5 , skinned and split|
|Dry lima beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), washed|
|Dry pinto beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Pearl barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||3 , cut up|
|Carrots||4 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||4 , sliced|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Take a large pot and combine together water, chicken and lima beans in it. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2) Add onion and pinto beans. Simmer for about 1 hour.
3) Remove chicken and place in a bowl.
4) Add tomatoes, barley and seasonings. Simmer for another 1 hour.
5) Add celery and carrots. Cook over medium-low heat until carrots get tender.
6) Separate chicken from bones and chop into small pieces.
7) Add peas and chicken to the pot.
8) Cook for about 5 minutes or until peas turn tender.
9) Transfer the dish to a platter and serve immediately.