Chicken Pot Roast
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||75 Gram|
|Streaky bacon rashers||4 , unsmoked, rinded and chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried thyme||5 Milliliter|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Roasting chicken||1 1⁄4 Kilogram|
|Parsnips||2 , peeled and quartered|
|Celery stalks||3 , scrubbed and chopped|
|Carrots||4 Large, peeled and quartered|
|Brown stock/Water and 1 beef stock cube||450 Milliliter (Hot)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Arrange the ingredients.
2) Mix together the breadcrumbs, bacon, onion, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper.
3) Bind together with the beaten egg.
4) Stuff the body cavity of the chicken with this mixture.
5) Tie the chicken securely with fine string.
6) Heat the butter or margarine in the base of the cooker and brown the chicken evenly all over.
7) Remove the chicken and saute the vegetables until lightly coloured.
8) Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
9) Add the hot stock or water and stock cube to the cooker and add the trivet.
10) Stand the chicken on the trivet and add a little salt and pepper.
11) Close the cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
12) Reduce the pressure quickly.
13) Place the vegetables around the chicken, together with a little salt and pepper.
14) Close the cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
15) Reduce the pressure quickly.
16) Lift out the chicken and vegetables to a warmed dish and keep hot.
17) Remove the trivet and return the open cooker to the heat.
18) Stir in the flour blended with a little water.
19) Stir and cook until thickened.
20) Taste and adjust seasoning.
21) Serve the chicken with sauce poured over.