Chicken Fambala Ya
|Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Chicken||2 Ounce (1 portion)|
|Onion||1 Small, skinned and finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Small, cored, seeded and finely chopped|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 , skinned and roughly chopped|
|Brown rice||3 Ounce (75 g)|
|Fresh parsley/Dried- 5 ml (1 teaspoon)||2 Teaspoon, chopped (10 ml)|
|Fresh thyme/Dried- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon)||1 Teaspoon, chopped (5 ml)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1.25 ml)|
1) In a casserole or saucepan heat oil and brown the chicken evenly on all sides.
2) Using a perforated ladle, remove chicken and drain on paper towel.
3) In the same pan saute onion, pepper and tomatoes for about 5 minutes, stirring until soft.
4) Stir in the rice and mix with the onion, pepper and tomato.
5) Add the chicken to the pan and stream in cold water to cover.
6) Stir in the bay leaf, parsley, thyme, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
7) Allow to the boil, put the lid and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken and rice are both tender and dry.
8) Remove the chicken, bone it, and cut into bite-sized cubes, discarding the skin.
9) Place the chicken pieces back in the pan and heat through.
10) Season to taste and discard the bay leaf.
11) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 804 Calories from Fat 351
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.2%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38 mg12.7%
Sodium 462.7 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g30.9%
Dietary Fiber 10.9 g43.5%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 23 g45.7%
Vitamin A 80.9% Vitamin C 205.6%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet