Batter Fried Chicken
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsifted flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 8 serving pieces|
1. Line a large shallow baking dish with a double thickness of paper towels.
2. In a deep bowl, with a wire whisk beat the egg and milk lightly together.
3. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients including flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
4. Add them to the egg mixture a few tablespoonfuls at a time, stirring gently after each addition until the batter is smooth without beating or over-mixing.
5. Set the batter aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting and place the paper lined baking dish in the middle of the oven.
7. Into a deep fryer or large heavy saucepan pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches and heat the oil until it reaches a temperature of 360° on a deep-frying thermometer.
8. Pat the pieces of chicken completely dry with paper towels and season them evenly on both sides with the paprika and the remaining teaspoon of salt.
9. Dip the chicken drumsticks and thighs into the batter, one at a time such that they are thoroughly coated and then place them in a deep-frying basket.
10. Lower the basket into the hot oil and deep-fry the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes, turning the drumsticks and thighs frequently with kitchen tongs so that they color richly and evenly.
11. Test for doneness, after 12 minutes by lifting a thigh out of the oil and piercing it deeply with the point of a small skewer or sharp knife.
12. The juice that trickles out should be pale yellow and if it is still tinged with pink, deep-fry the chicken for 1 or 2 minutes longer.
13. To the paper-lined dish transfer the drumsticks and thighs to drain and keep them warm in the oven.
14. Then dip the wings and breasts into the batter, place them in the deep-frying basket and lower it into the oil.
15. Fry the white-meat pieces for about 7 or 8 minutes and drain them on the paper-lined dish.
16. Arrange the chicken attractively on a heated platter and serve at once.
Calories 485 Calories from Fat 255
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.7%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 134.4 mg44.8%
Sodium 548.6 mg22.9%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.8%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 43 g86.2%
Vitamin A 17.4% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 9.2% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet