Classic Chicken Cacciatore
|Chicken pieces||3 Pound|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and minced|
|Tomato sauce||16 Ounce (2 Cans Of 8 Ounce Each)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh sliced mushrooms/Canned mushrooms - 1 can of 4 1/2 ounces, sliced||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Over moderate-high heat, place a large skillet and saute the chicken pieces in oil till they are thoroughly browned on all sides.
2) Transfer the pieces to a slow cooker.
3) To the still hot skillet, add the garlic, onion, tomato sauce, parsley, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, basil and wine.
4) Stir well to scrape up the pan juices. Pour the liquid all over the chicken.
5) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
6) Before it is time to serve, transfer the chicken pieces to a warm serving dish.
7) From the top of the cooking liquid, skim 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat and put them in a medium skillet.
8) Over moderate-high heat, saute the mushroom slices till they are soft and the moisture has dried from the skillet.
9) Salt the mushrooms and put them with the chicken.
10) Into the skillet, pour the cooking liquids and rapidly simmer, frequently stirring, till the sauce is very thick.
11) Pour the hot sauce over the warm chicken and mushrooms and serve right away, while still piping hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5863 Calories from Fat 4211
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 476 g731.6%
Saturated Fat 70.7 g353.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 952.4 mg317.5%
Sodium 3567.8 mg148.7%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.5%
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g56.9%
Sugars 36.3 g
Protein 302 g603.9%
Vitamin A 97.2% Vitamin C 228.6%
Calcium 44.5% Iron 122%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet