Classic Chicken Stock
|Chicken bones||4 1⁄2 Pound (Uncooked, 2 Kilogram Backs, Feet And Wing Etc)|
|Chicken pieces||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Grams)|
|Cold water||6 Pint (4 Liter)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm) (Unskinned)|
1. In a large pot, place the chicken bones and chicken pieces and simmer in cold water to make a thick stock. As the chicken stock simmers, remove all scum that rises to the top of the bowl. This will take about 20-50 minutes. Let the stock sit on low heat without stirring till required
2. Prepare the ginger by slicing it into diagonal slices that are 2inches (5cm) x 1/2 inch (1cm
3. Cut off the tops of the spring onions and lightly crush the garlic cloves leaving the skins on and mix them together.
4. When the stock has cooked down, turn down the heat, add the ginger, white spring onions, garlic cloves and salt. Simmer on a very low heat for 2 and 4 hours and skim off the fat as it rises. When the stock simmers for a long time, it will become stronger in taste and texture.
5. Strain the stock through dampened cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer and let it cool. Remove any fat which has risen to the top.
6. Use this stock as a base of other dishes or as a base of soups.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 52 Calories from Fat 7
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.76 g1.2%
Saturated Fat 0.19 g0.93%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14 mg4.7%
Sodium 1106.6 mg46.1%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 6 g11.1%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 15.7%
Calcium 13% Iron 4.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet