Classic Roasted Chicken
|Roasting chicken||3 Pound (1 whole)|
|Dried tarragon leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrot||1 , cut up|
|Onion||1 , peeled and quartered|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced shallots||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a bowl mix 1 tablespoon butter and the salt.
3. Spread the mixture into the cavity of chicken.
4. Tie the opening of the chicken.
5. Rub the chicken skin with some butter.
6. Keep chicken in shallow roasting pan.
7. Arrange tarragon, carrot, and Union around it.
8. Keep in oven.
9. In a frying pan melt remaining butter and add oil.
10. Baste the chicken with this mixture every 15 to 30 minutes.
11. Cook the chicken for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
12. The chicken is cooked if juice of inner thigh is clear yellow.
13. Take out the chicken and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
14. To prepare the sauce remove vegetables and all except 2 tablespoons fat.
15. Add shallots and cook till done.
16. Stir in broth and brandy and boil rapidly.
17. Pass sauce with chicken.