Chicken Almond Casserole
|Stewing chicken||5 Pound, cut up|
|Carrots||2 , cut up|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Boiling water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned sliced mushrooms||4 Ounce (1 can)|
|Pimiento||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), blanched, slivered|
|Butter/Margarine /chicken fat||4 Tablespoon|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. In a large pan, pour in the celery, carrots, onion, salt and pepper along with the water and chicken and simmer till the chicken falls off the bone.
3. Remove the chicken from the broth and shred the meat off the bone. Save the broth for later.
4. In a large pan, combine the rice, chicken, mushrooms, pimiento and 3/4 cup almonds till mixed through.
5. In large pan, tip in the 2 tblsp butter; blend in flour and 2 c chicken broth and mix well. Cook this mixture till smooth and thick. Add marjoram, thyme and more salt and stir well.
6. Add this to the chicken mixture and stir well again
7. Pour this into an llx7 1/2 x 1 1/2" baking dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining almonds. Dot wit butter and bake in a moderate oven for one hour.
8. Serve with gravy made from the rest of the chicken broth.
Calories 790 Calories from Fat 414
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.9%
Saturated Fat 13.6 g67.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 206.1 mg68.7%
Sodium 728 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.2%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 64 g127.5%
Vitamin A 64.8% Vitamin C 14.2%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 23.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet