Bang Bang Chicken
|Water||2 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Chicken||2 1⁄4 Pound (Without Giblets, 1 Whole Chicken, 1 Kilogram)|
|Spring onions||3 , each tied into a knot|
|Ginger root pieces||3 , crushed (Unpeeled)|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Shredded lettuce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Required, For Garnish)|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Caster sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped spring onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Red chili oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground sichuan peppercorns||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Red Variety)|
|White sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame paste/Peanut butter creamed with a little sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a large pan, bring the water to a boil and add the chicken, spring onion and ginger.
2) Bring back to a boil, add salt and simmer, covered over a low heat for 30-35 minutes.
3) Then turn off the heat and allow to cool covered for 3 to 4 hours.
4) Remove the chicken, drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
5) Brush with the sesame oil, and allow to dry for 10-15 minutes.
6) Then carve the meat off the bones, pound with a rolling pin and shred with fingers.
7) In a large bowl, place the chicken over the shredded lettuce leaves.
8) In a small bowl, combine about 150 ml chicken cooking liquid and all the sauce ingredients together.
9) Pour the sauce over the chicken, then and toss until thoroughly coated just before serving.
10) Serve the Bang Bang Chicken immediately.
Calories 311 Calories from Fat 170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.3%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.5 mg28.5%
Sodium 623.2 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 28 g55.3%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 9%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet