Mandarin Chicken With Almonds
Salt- 1 teaspoon
Paprika- 2 teaspoons
Frying Chicken- 3-pound, cut up
Vegetable Oil- 3 tablespoons
Garlic- 1 clove
Raisins- 2 tablespoons
Dry Red Wine- 1/2 cup
Accumulated Cooking Liquid- 1 cup
Cornstarch- 2 tablespoons, mixed to a smooth paste, in 2 tablespoons cold water
Soy Sauce- 2 tablespoons
Ground Ginger- 1/2 teaspoon
Mandarin Oranges- 1 11-ounce can, drained
Heavy Cream or Sour Cream- 1/2 cup
Almonds- 2 to 4 tablespoons, sliced
1) In a small bowl, mix together salt and paprika.
2) Smear the chicken with the salt mixture.
3) In a non-stick pan, heat oil and brown the chicken on all the sides for about 10 minutes.
4) In the slow cooker, place the chicken with garlic and raisins.
5) In the same pan, pour wine and bring to boil stirring continuously to remove the browned bits.
6) Pour the wine mixture over the chicken.
7) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 hours.
8) Drain the chicken, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
9) In the saucepan, place the cooking liquid with cornstarch mixture, soy sauce and ginger.
10) Heat the soy sauce mixture to boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
11) Stir in the oranges and cream, in the soy sauce mixture.
12) Place the chicken on a serving platter and spoon the orange sauce over it.
13) Sprinkle sliced almond on the top and serve hot with rice.