Little Red Hens
|Cornish game hens||6 Pound (6 Hens, 1 Pound Each)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), halved|
|Water||10 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Instant chicken bouillon||1 Teaspoon|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh strawberries||1 Pint, hulled|
|Red wine vinegar/Red wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley sprigs||1 (A Few)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Wash hens inside and out with cold water.
3. Pat dry with paper towels.
4. Rub hens inside out with garlic clove.
5. Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
6. Arrange them on a rack in a roasting pan.
7. Roast the hens for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
8. While they are roasting, prepare the sauce by combining ½ cup water, jelly and bouillon in a small saucepan.
9. Place over low heat and stir to melt the jelly. Leave to simmer on low.
10. In a blender jar, combine the berries and vinegar and puree.
11. Stir in puree into the sauce when it begins to bubble.
12. Blend the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water and stir into the sauce.
13. Simmer sauce, stirring constantly until it is thick and bubbly.
14. Once hens have roasted for 30 minutes, baste them with the prepared glaze sauce and return to the oven.
15. Roast them, basting often, for another 30 minutes or until the internal temp reads 180 degrees on a meat thermometer. The juices should run clear when the thickest portion of the thigh is pierced.
16. Arrange the chickens on dinner plates or a platter.
17. Garnish them when parley and surround with more berries if you like.
18. Serve the hens warm or cold.