Barbecued Chicken Veronique
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Dried thyme leaves||3 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaves||2 , crushed|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Broiler fryers||2 1⁄2 Pound (4 Whole, 2 To 2 1/2 Pound)|
|Dried rosemary leaves||1 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Chicory||1 (As Needed)|
|Green grapes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Small Clusters)|
1. In a small saucepan, mix together butter, 3 teaspoons thyme, 2 teaspoons rosemary, the bay leaves, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, the garlic and white wine; stir and bring it just to a boil and then let it cool.
2. Wash chicken under cold running water; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Season inside of each chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each rosemary and thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
4. Bring the legs together, using a cooking string tie them together.
5. Fold wings over the breast and tie wings securely with the body.
6. In a large shallow baking pan; place the tied up chicken and pour marinade them.
7. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate; turn occasionally.
8. Remove chicken from refrigerator 1/2 hour before cooking.
9. On a spit, secure the marinated chicken; balance evenly.
10. Place the spit at 5 inches from the prepared coals.
11. Place a foil drip pan under the chicken for accumulating drippings.
12. Let the chicken roast for about 90 minutes; until legs move easily at joints; baste often with remaining butter mixture.
13. Remove chicken from spit.
14. Place on a heated platter and unravel.
15. Garnish with chicory and clusters of green grapes.
16. Heat remaining marinade and serve with chicken.
Calories 485 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.8%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 136.5 mg45.5%
Sodium 403.1 mg16.8%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 27 g54.8%
Vitamin A 31.3% Vitamin C 15.6%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 40.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet