An Elegant Dinner Treat
|9 inch pie shells||2 , frozen|
|Chicken breasts||2 , skinned, split in half|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Asparagus||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Brie cheese/Camembert / gruyere cheese||250 Gram (1 Package)|
|Boiled ham slices||4|
|For the salad:|
|Romaine leaves||4 , washed, crisped|
|Ripe tomato||1 Large|
|Hard cooked egg||4 , shelled|
|Capers||1 Teaspoon, drained|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the dessert:|
|Orange flavored liqueur||2 Tablespoon|
|Flaked coconut||2 Tablespoon|
|Coconut macaroon bars||400 Gram (1 Package)|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|French bread loaf||1|
1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) Thaw the pie shells. Clean and drain the chicken breasts. In a skillet, add a tablespoon of butter. Saute the chicken covered, till it browns on both sides. Sprinkle thyme on top.
3) Trim the rough ends of the asparagus and rinse.
4) Slice the cheese thin.
5) Cut each pie shell into half. Cut a dimond shape in the centre of each half. On the pie shell place a ham slice, cheese and halved chicken breast. Fold the sheet over pinching the edges together to seal.
6) Arrange the stuffed pastry shells on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush the top over with egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes or till golden brown. Once cooled, top it with vanilla ice cream when just ready to serve.
7) Split the macaroon bars into diagonal halves. On a lightly greased 8-inch pie plate, arrange the macaroons. Place a few on the outer edge and the rest inside.
8) Take four salad plates and line them with 4 lettuce leaves. Place a tomato slice on each leaf. Place hard-boiled egg slices on top of each. Into a bowl, mix mayonnaise, catsup and capers. Spoon the mixture over the egg slices. Chill the salad.
9) In a medium skillet, boil 1 cup of water. Add in asparagus. Cover the skillet and cook for 8 minutes till they become tender. Drain. Add in 2 tablespoons of water. Toss well to mix.
10) Set aside three strawberries and hull the rest. Sprinkle with sugar and mix in with orange-flavored liqueur. Place the strawberry slices over the pie. Garnished with the three reserved strawberries. Sprinkle the top with flaked coconut.
11) Toast the French Bread.
12) Serve the asparagus with slices of lemon as garnish.
13) Serve the chilled salad with extra mayonnaise on the side. Place the toasted bread on the side.
14) The thyme-sprinkle chicken breasts are served as the main course. 15) For dessert, serve the macaroon bars along with the pie.
Calories 1863 Calories from Fat 1008
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 113 g174.3%
Saturated Fat 54.2 g270.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 593.2 mg197.7%
Sodium 1482 mg61.8%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.3%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.1%
Sugars 63.6 g
Protein 70 g140.4%
Vitamin A 98.2% Vitamin C 162.2%
Calcium 51.1% Iron 55.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet