Chicken Tam O Shanter
|Whole fryer chicken||1 , cut into serving portions|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
|Scotch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), warmed (Red Jonnie Walker)|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or Bouillon)|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
1. In a large casserole or skillet, heat the oil and the butter.
2. Add the chicken pieces, a few at a time and fry them until evenly browned.
3. Remove the chicken to a platter and fry remaining pieces. Keep the chicken aside.
4. Add the onion, and mushrooms to the fat in the casserole and fry them till tender and golden.
5. Return the chicken to the casserole.
6. Add the warmed alcohol to the casserole, stirring to dislodge the browned bits.
7. Carefully ignite and allow the flames to die down.
8. Pour in the broth.
9. Reduce the heat, cover pan
10. Simmer chicken for 40 to 45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
11. Remove the tender chicken pieces to a serving platter or casserole.
12. Add the sour cream and seasonings to the cooking liquid and heat through on a low flame.
13. Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and serve immediately with rice or pasta.