Basic Country Roast Chicken
|Broiler fryer chicken||6 Pound (2 Birds, Weighing 3 Pound Each)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn bread stuffing mix||8 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bacon drippings/Butter / margarine, melted||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Separate the giblets and necks from the chicken pieces, except for the livers.
3) In a saucepan, add water, salt and the separated pieces. Cook on simmer for 45 minutes. Add in the livers and cook covered for 15 more minutes.
4) Spoon out the giblets and neck. Separate the meat from the necks and chop up the giblets. Transfer into a large bowl. Add in the stuffing mix and combine. Save the broth for later.
5) Reduce the reserved broth to about 1/2 cup, by simmering.
6) In a medium skillet, melt butter or margarine. Add in onions and celery and saute for 5 minutes. Add into the chicken mixture along with the reduced broth. Toss well to combine.
7) Fill the stuffing into the neck and body cavity. Skewer the neck skin to back and close the body cavity, tying the legs to the tail.
8) Transfer the chicken onto the roasting pan. Brush it with a little of the bacon drippings or melted butter or margarine.
9) Roast for about 30 minutes, basting in between with the remaining bacon drippings or melted butter or margarine.
10) Serve the Country Roast Chicken hot.