Tahitian Ti Chicken
|Chicken breasts||4 Large, boned|
|Canned pineapple chunks||20 1⁄2 Ounce, drained, reserve syrup (1 can)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , thinly sliced|
|Chopped macadamia nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ti leaves||24 (available at a florist shop)|
1. To prepare the chicken breasts remove skin from them and cut meat into chunks.
2. In a deep bowl, place chicken and pineapple chunks.
3. In a small jar with a tight-fitting cover combine reserved pineapple syrup, soy sauce, oil, honey, sherry and garlic salt and shake to blend.
4. Pour over chicken and pineapple chunks and stir in lemon slices.
5. With cover refrigerate overnight.
6. Just before ready to barbecue, stir in macadamia nuts.
7. On a flat surface place 2 washed ti leaves to form a cross and spoon a little chicken mixture in center (be sure to include a lemon slice and some juice).
8. Fold leaves over mixture and roll up and secure packet with stout cord or string.
9. Repeat with all the chicken.
10. On hot coals, place packets on grill, brush with reserved marinade, turning often and grill 20 minutes.
11. To serve: on beds of hot buttered rice cut the string and place packets.
12. Opening the leaves scoop a little rice onto chicken mixture and optionally spoon leftover marinade over chicken mixture.
Calories 465 Calories from Fat 175
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.2%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 84.1 mg28%
Sodium 1835.2 mg76.5%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.1%
Sugars 25 g
Protein 39 g77.4%
Vitamin A 20.7% Vitamin C 34.2%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 26.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet