Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables
|Chicken thighs||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Minced parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Turnips||1 Pound, quartered (Small)|
|Cubed peeled pumpkin||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Green pepper||1 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Cooked chickpeas||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For cous cous|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. To make the chicken: Remove and discard the skin and all visible fat from the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the chicken and onions in the oil for about 5 to 10 minutes turning frequently,.
3. Add the water, tomatoes, parsley, ginger, cinnamon, and pepper and bring it to boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan, cover and keep warm.
6. Keep the pan with the cooking liquid on the stove.
7. To make the vegetables: In a pan, boil the carrots, turnips, pumpkin, and water, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Add the peppers, chickpeas, and cooked chicken.
9. Simmer for 5 minutes and keep warm.
10. To make the couscous: in a 1-quart saucepan, strain 2 cups of stock from the vegetables and bring the stock to a boil.
11. Remove from heat and add the couscous.
12. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
13. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
14. To make the sauce. In the same saucepan, strain 1 cup of stock from the vegetables
15. Add the lemon juice, red pepper, cumin, and paprika and bring it to boil.
16. In a serving bowl, using a slotted spoon, place the vegetables and chicken atop the couscous.
17. Moisten with some of the remaining vegetable liquid.
18. Serve hot with the sauce.