Santa Fe Chili Chicken
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves||1 Pound (4 Breast Halves)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned chicken gravy||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Monterey jack cheese||1 Ounce, shredded (1/4 Cup)|
|8 inch flour tortillas||4 , warmed and quartered|
|Pepperoncini salad peppers||To Taste (Vlasic, For Garnish)|
1. Season the flour with the chili powder on a plate or wax paper and spread evenly.
2. Dredge the chicken pieces with the spiced flour by pat lightly to form even coating, turn and coat other side.
3. Repeat with the remaining chicken portions.
4. In a large flat skillet melt and heat the margarine or butter over medium-high flame.
5. When hot but not smoking, arrange the chicken breasts in the pan and fry for about 5 minutes each side until evenly browned and almost tender.
6. Remove the chicken onto a platter and keep aside.
7. Drain out the fat from the pan and deglaze it with gravy.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. Return the chicken to the pan.
10. Cover the pan and simmer chicken on low heat for about 5 minutes or until tender when checked with a knife. Stir once is a while to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
11. Sprinkle cheese and additional chili powder if you like, over each chicken piece.
12. Cover the pan with its lid and let the cheese melt.
13. Place a chicken piece on each plate, spooning sauce over it.
14. Garnish with peppers and tomatoes and serve with tortillas on the side.
Calories 391 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 74.8 mg24.9%
Sodium 876.9 mg36.5%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 33 g66%
Vitamin A 24.3% Vitamin C 6.3%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 10.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet