Roasted Chicken And Veggies Too
|Roasting chicken||7 1⁄2 Pound (1 Chicken, 7 To 7 1/2 Pounds)|
|Chopped parsley/Basil/1 teaspoon each dried thyme, rosemary, and tarragon||1 Cup (16 tbs), dried|
|Chopped fresh parsley/Chopped fresh basil / a mix of fresh herbs / 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, rosemary, and tarragon||1 Cup (16 tbs), dried|
|Unpeeled garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), unpeeled|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water/Chicken broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Roasted vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 475Â°F.
2. Remove the giblet package and excess pieces of fat from the cavity and neck of the chicken. For easier carving, remove the wishbone. Pat dry and season the cavity with salt only (pepper burns at such a high heat). Stuff the cavity with the herbs and garlic. It is not necessary to truss the bird.
3. Place the bird, breast side up, in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven (close the door) and move the bird around in the pan so it will be less likely to stick to the bottom. Return the pan to the oven and roast, without opening the door, until done, another 1 1/2 hours. Prick the thighs with a knife; the juices should run clear without a trace of pink. Remove the bird to a cutting board and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the juices from the roasting pan to a bowl or degreaser, and skim off the surface fat. Return the de-greased juices to the roasting pan. Remove the garlic and herbs from the cavity and add them to the juices in the roasting pan. Set the pan over medium-high heat and add the wine and water. Boil the liquid down over high heat until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and discard the garlic and herbs.
5. Carve the legs. Remove the breast from the bones and slice it across the grain. Right before serving, whisk the butter into the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite roasted vegetables.
Calories 384 Calories from Fat 250
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.6%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 125.8 mg41.9%
Sodium 163.7 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g1.2%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 30 g59.2%
Vitamin A 13.1% Vitamin C 14.7%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet