Quick Chicken Mole Over Rice
|Long grain rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Preferably Texmati)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned mexican style stewed tomatoes/Canned regular stewed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Stewed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (Mexican Style / Regular)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned chopped green chiles||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Skinless boneless chicken thighs/2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts||2 Pound (8 Thighs, 1 1/2 To 2 Pounds Total)|
|Boneless skinless chicken thighs/2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts||2 Pound, pounded|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1⁄2 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1. Combine the rice and the water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until just tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Keep the cooked rice warm, covered, until the chicken is done.
2. Meanwhile, mince the garlic. Combine the cloves, cinnamon, oregano, cumin, and chili powder in a little bowl. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juices, and chop the solids. Return the chopped tomatoes to the juices.
3. Heat the oil in a nonreactive 9- to 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it emits a lovely aroma, 10 seconds. Add the spice mixture and cook until it gives off its fragrance, 10 seconds. Add the vinegar and cook it for 5 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, and green chiles. Cook, uncovered, over low heat to thicken the sauce, 10 minutes.
4. While the sauce is cooking, remove any skin and fat from the chicken thighs and cut the meat into 2 X 1/3-inch strips. If you are using chicken breasts, separate the tenderloins and cut the breast pieces into strips about 2 inches long and 1/3 inch wide.
5. Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer, uncovered, over low heat until it is just cooked through, about 8 minutes for thigh meat and about 5 minutes for breast meat.
6. Season the sauce with salt and stir in the chopped chocolate. Keep stirring until the chocolate is dissolved. Serve over the rice, with a topping of sour cream and cilantro if you wish.
Calories 484 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g29.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 117.5 mg39.2%
Sodium 508.2 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.7%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 45 g90.1%
Vitamin A 42.7% Vitamin C 30.6%
Calcium 9% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet