Crisp Chicken With Cabbage And Apples
|Zinfandel||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bacon slices||4 , finely chopped|
|Thinly sliced red cabbage||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Granny smith apples||2 , peeled, cored, and finely chopped|
|Skinless boneless chicken breast halves||1 1⁄2 Pound, tenders removed, pounded thin (4 Large Ones)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Instant mashed potato buds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh chives||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm) (Small Bunch)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 Â°F.
2. Whisk together the wine, 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt in a nonreactive 4-quart flameproof casserole.
3. Add the bacon, cabbage, and apples. Bring to a boil over high heat (push the cabbage aside and look at the liquid on the bottom). Cover, transfer the casserole to the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine the melted butter, vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. Coat the chicken in the marinade and set aside, covered, in the refrigerator, 30 minutes.
5. Dip the chicken in the potato buds, making sure the pieces are completely covered. Set them on a rack placed on a baking sheet, put the baking sheet in the oven next to the casserole, and bake 30 minutes (the chicken should be cooked through and barely golden brown). While this is cooking, finely snip the chives (you need about 1/3 cup).
6. Remove the cabbage from the oven and mix to evenly distribute the apples and bacon. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set a portion of cabbage and apples on each dinner plate, center some chicken in the middle, and garnish the chicken with the chives.