Classic Chicken And Mushroom Vol Au Vents
|Puff pastry||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Egg||1 , blended with a little milk|
|For the filling|
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Grams)|
|Flour||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Milk||1 Pint (6 Deciliter)|
|Cooked chicken joints||12 Ounce, finely chopped (350 Gram)|
|Button mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, stemmed and sliced (100 Gram)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. On floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll cold pastry out to 1/4 inch thick sheet.
2. Use a 3-inch round cutter to cut out twelve circles.
3. Wet a baking tray lightly and arrange 6 of the circles, with 2 inch space between each.
4. Brush each with mixture of beaten egg and milk.
5. Use a 2-inch round cutter cut out the centers of the remaining six circles.
6. Use a palette knife to lift and place the pastry rings onto the whole circle bases.
7. Light press to stick.
8. Brush again with egg wash.
9. Arrange small circles on another baking sheet and glaze them with egg wash as well.
10. Place trays in the refrigerator to rest pastry cases for 15-20 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 425Â° F (220°C or Gas No. 7)
12. When the oven is hot, bake the pastry cases and lids for 15-20 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Remove the small circles after 10 minutes of baking.
13. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (200°C or Gas No. 6)
14. Bake 10 minutes or until the pastry cases are flaky and crisp.
15. Remove cases from oven.
16. Using a teaspoon, scoop the softer inside pastry from each case while warm. Keep the cases aside while making the filling.
17. In a saucepan melt 2 oz butter.
18. Stir in the flour and sautÃ© for 1 minute.
19. Gradually stir in the milk to make a smooth sauce.
20. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly.
21. Season sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
22. In the meantime, sautÃ© the mushrooms in a teaspoon of butter till tender
23. Add the mushrooms and the chopped cooked chicken to the sauce.
24. Keep the sauce warm over a double boiler.
25. Reheat the pastry cases in a moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4) for 15-20 minutes.
26. Reheat the sauce.
27. Just before serving, spoon the chicken and mushroom sauce into the hot vol-au-vent cases filling them to the rim.
28. Partially cover the cases with the baked lids and garnish with a little chopped parsley before serving.