Cold Curried Chicken
|Oven ready chicken||3 Pound (1 1/2 Kilogram)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|For the curry mayonnaise:|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For curry powder|
|Stock||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Tomato puree||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , freshly squeezed|
|Sweet chutney||2 Tablespoon|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Single cream||3 Tablespoon|
1. Use a clean kitchen towel to wipe the chicken inside out.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C or Gas No. 6)
3. Cut butter into cubes and place of them inside the cavity.
4. Rub the remaining butter on exposed surface and place bird in a casserole or roasting pan.
5. Cover pan with butter paper and place on middle level of the preheated oven.
6. Roast chicken for 1-1 1/2 hours.
7. When tender at the thickest portion of the thigh, remove from oven and leave to cool.
8. In the mean time, make the sauce by heating oil in a saucepan.
9. When oil is hot, add the chopped onion and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, or until limp.
10. Add the curry powder and stir fry for a couple of minutes to release the spice flavors.
11. Pour in the stock, add tomato puree, lemon juice and chutney
12. Stir and bring to a boil
13. Reduce heat and simmer sauce for 5 minutes until thickened and flavors are concentrated.
14. Strain the sauce into a clean bowl and leave to cool.
15. When cooled completely, add the mayonnaise and cream.
16. Whisk with a wire whisk until smooth and creamy.
17. Carve the flesh from the chicken and arrange in a serving dish.
18. Coat with the curry mayonnaise sauce.
19. Serve cold with a crisp green salad on the side.
Calories 697 Calories from Fat 515
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g88.4%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 204 mg68%
Sodium 1050.6 mg43.8%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.6%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 41 g82.5%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 9.8%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet