Kay Mcenroe's Old Fashioned Casserole
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Canned peeled italian tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, quartered (1 Bird)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Elbow macaroni||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
2. Finely chop the onion, carrots, and celery. Mince the garlic. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juices, and chop the solids.
3. Heat the oil over high heat in a large deep flameproof casserole. When it is very hot, add the chicken, skin side down. Lower the heat to medium and cook, without stirring, until the skin is stiff and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook, again without stirring, for another 3 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken to a bowl and set aside. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the casserole and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, their reserved juices, and the oregano. Bring the liquid just to a boil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Remove the tomatoes and vegetables to another bowl and set aside. Add the elbow macaroni to the emptied casserole (off the heat) and top with the reserved chicken. Spoon the vegetables and tomatoes over the chicken.
6. Cover the casserole tightly and bake until the chicken is tender and the macaroni is cooked, 1 hour. Serve directly from the casserole.