Butter Chicken Florentine
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 , coarsely chopped|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Whole chicken breasts||4|
|Ground nutmeg||To Taste|
|Egg yolks||2 , beaten|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated gruyere cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. Butter an ovenproof dish thoroughly. Make a bed of the chopped vegetables; add the bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Pour the chicken stock over the vegetables. Lay the chicken breasts on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with well-buttered wax paper and bake for 40 minutes.
3. Lift out the chicken breasts. Drain the juices; there should be 2 cups. Remove the bones from the chicken breasts. Slice in scallops.
4. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add 3 tablespoons flour and blend. Add the vegetable stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
5. Blanch the spinach and drain thoroughly. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and butter.
6. Butter an ovenproof dish. Make a bed of the spinach. Lay the sliced chicken on top. Mix the egg yolks and cream and stir into the sauce to thicken. Add the lemon juice and cayenne. Pour over chicken. Scatter the cheese on top. Cool, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.
7. Reheat in 350Â°F. oven for 20 minutes until hot, and then brown under broiler. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.