Curried Chicken Over Aromatic Rice
|Converted long grain white rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Skinless boneless chicken||1 1⁄4 Pound (Breasts Or Thighs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Fresh ginger||1⁄4 , sliced, peeled|
|Sliced ginger||1 , peeled (1 Quarter-Size)|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen spinach||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper/Dried red pepper flakes||To Taste|
1. Combine the rice and the water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Season to taste with salt, cover, and cook until just tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Keep the rice warm, covered, off the heat until the chicken is done.
2. While the rice cooks, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes. Coarsely chop the onion in a food processor. Add the garlic and ginger and chop fine. Combine all of the spices in a little bowl.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, add the' onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and a little golden, 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook, stirring, until you can smell the toasted spices, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and continue to cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is partially cooked, about 5 minutes.
4. While the chicken is cooking, puree the spinach with the evaporated milk and the tomato paste in a food processor. Add this to the chicken and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and most of the moisture has evaporated, another 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, season to taste with salt and black or dried red pepper.
5. Arrange the rice in a ring on each plate, and spoon the chicken and spinach in the center.