Basic Chicken Stock
|Bony chicken parts||3 Pound (Wings, Neck / Back)|
|Cold water||6 Pint (3.5 Liter)|
|Yellow onion||1 , unpeeled, stuck into 2 cloves|
|Celery stalks||2 , with leaves and cut into 2|
|Peppercorns||12 , crushed|
|Carrots||2 , scrapped and cut into pieces of 5 cm length|
|Fresh thyme/Dried salt||1 Tablespoon|
1) Wash the veal knuckle, if using, and chicken pieces under running water thoroughly.
2) In a large soup kettle, place the meats with other ingredeints except salt.
3) Cover the kettle and boil over medium heat.
4) Let the kettle covered partly, lower the heat and simmer the stock for 2-3 hours.
5) Remove any foam or skum from the top of the stock several times while cooking.
6) After 1 hour of simmering, add salt to the stock.
7) In a large bowl, strain the stock through a fine sieve.
8) Dicard the solids and let the stock cook without covering.
9) Refrigerate the completely cooled stock.
10) You may remove the fat from the top of the stock or leave it as a protective covering.
1) Chicken stock could be used as an ingredient in several dishes or it can be consumed as clear soup, by heating.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2162 Calories from Fat 979
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 109 g167.4%
Saturated Fat 30.2 g150.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 720 mg240%
Sodium 4109.4 mg171.2%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.8%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 243 g486.6%
Vitamin A 434.3% Vitamin C 62.2%
Calcium 23.1% Iron 20.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet