Chicken Pot Roast
|Chicken||4 Pound (2 Kilogram, Oven Ready)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Bacon rashers||1⁄4 Pound|
|Lean bacon rashers||1⁄4 Pound, trimmed and chopped (100 Grams)|
|Button onions||12 , peeled|
|Potatoes||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|For the stuffing|
|Chicken liver||4 Ounce, chopped|
|White breadcrumbs||1 Tablespoon (For The Stuffing:)|
|Sausage meat||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||1 Tablespoon|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Parsley sprigs||3 , chopped (For Garnish)|
1. From the cavity of the chicken remove the giblets and reserve the chicken liver for the stuffing, discarding the rest.
2. Wipe the insides with paper toweling.
3. Rub salt and pepper on the inside and outside of the chicken. Keep aside.
4. In a saucepan, add peeled whole onions and cover with cold water.
5. Blanch by bring the water to a boil.
6. Drain and set aside.
7. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
8. To make the stuffing, in a large bowl, place the washed and cleaned chicken liver along with the sausage meat.
9. Mash the meats with a fork
10. Add the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley and mix thoroughly.
11. Stuffing the bird with the stuffing, spooning little into the neck and the rest into the body cavity.
12. To truss the bird, pull back the neck skin over the open end of the cavity, twist the wings so that they lie under the bird, then secure the neck skin and wings underneath with a skewer.
13. Close the tail end with a skewer and tie the legs firmly in position with kitchen twine.
14. In a large casserole, heat the butter and oil.
15. When hot, sear the chicken on all sides until evenly browned.
16. Add blanched onions and chopped bacon to the casserole.
17. Reduce heat, cover casserole with a lid and cook chicken and onions for about 15 minutes.
18. In the meantime, peel the potatoes and cut into dices.
19. Add potatoes to the casserole and sautÃ© lightly to coat with the drippings.
20. Re-cover the casserole and transfer it to the preheated oven.
21. Braise chicken and vegetables for 1 hour until the chicken is tender and juiced run clear when the thigh portion is pierced with tip of a knife.
22. Transfer the chicken to a serving casserole and carve into serving portions, removing the skewer and twine used to truss the bird.
23. Toss the cooked potatoes, onions and bacon in the pan juices and season them with salt.
24. Surround the chicken with the vegetables and sprinkle with chopped parsley.