Chicken and Asparagus
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Fresh asparagus||1⁄2 Pound|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), buttered|
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2) In salted water, add chicken breasts, onion and celery.
3) Simmer until soft, for about 30 minutes.
4) Remove the chicken from broth and cool. Also, remove the bones.
5) Concentrate the broth to measure 3 cups.
6) Trim and wash the asparagus.
7) In boiling salted water, cook asparagus, until just barely tender. Drain and keep aside.
8) In a pan, heat butter.
9) To this, stir in flour. Let the mix bubble.
10) Gradually stir in the broth.
11) Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens.
12) Adjust salt, if required.
13) Now, add cheese and stir until it is melted. Keep aside.
14) In the bottom of a buttered shallow casserole, place the asparagus.
15) On top of this, place the chicken.
16) With cheese gravy, cover the chicken and asparagus mixture.
17) Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
18) Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
19) Serve hot, garnished with cheese, if desired.
Calories 453 Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.8%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130.3 mg43.4%
Sodium 834.3 mg34.8%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.6%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 41 g81.8%
Vitamin A 26.6% Vitamin C 12.9%
Calcium 33.5% Iron 18.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet